Rice is one of the most consumed food in Nigeria today, it is consumed in varieties of ways but the most common way is by boiling the rice grains and eating it with an already prepared tomato stew or adding spices while boiling it in combination with oil and this is called jollof rice.
When cooking Jollof rice, Don’t be too quick to dump your ingredients in the pot because getting a flavor base is very vital otherwise, you will end up with what we call ”concoction”. Each step counts so try to do each of the steps in detail.
Get you a man who can whip up a jollof rice and fried fish storm. When you find him, MARRY THAT MAN AND HAVE TWELVE KIDS FOR HIM!#easywork #isolationcuisine #jollofrice #jollofwars #whatsallthefussabout #husbandmaterial5millionyards pic.twitter.com/bO64VRO5K7
— Babatunde Koiki (@BabatundeKoiki) April 4, 2020
- 6 Cups Rice Long grain
- 3/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 5 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 4 Cups Chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 Tbsp Thyme
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Grated
- 1 Tsp Salt or to taste
- 1 Onion Medium sized (sliced)
- 1 Tomato sliced (Large size)
- 1 Tbsp seasoning powder or seasoning cubes
- 1 Onion Sliced
- White Pepper or black pepper to taste
For the sauce, blend together:
- 3 Red Bell Pepper
- 3 Tomatoes Plum
- 2 Scotch bonnet
- 1 Onion Diced
Steps To Follow When Preparing Jollof Rice
Prepare your ingredients before you start out. Process your tomatoes and pepper by blending or grinding it and, have your onions and other vegetable chopped, then season and cook your meat ahead of time. This ensures that you don’t run out of time while the cooking is going on. Remember that jollof rice needs to be just appropriately tender and not overcooked.
View this post on Instagram
- Grind your tomatoes, pepper, and onions or blend them using a blending machine or a grinding machine whichever one is available to you until the consistency is smooth and set aside
- measure the amount of rice you need and Wash it thoroughly to reduce the starch and keep it aside.
- To a medium-sized pot on medium heat, heat canola oil and butter
- pour your sliced or chopped onions into your pot containing oil and allow to fry for a while or about 5 mins whichever one works for you or until redness starts to fade
- while stirring continuously Pour in your tomato paste and allow to fry for about 10-15 minutes, the reason for the continuous stirring is to avoid burning.
- Add in your blended mixture, crayfish, Maggi, cayenne & black pepper, white pepper, bay leaves, curry powder, garlic, thyme. Mix and fry for about 30 minutes, continuously stirring to avoid burning.
- pour in your chicken stock and salt. Mix and allow cook for another additional 10 mins
- Now pour in your already washed rice and a bit of water (if necessary), and reduce the amount oft of your burner to low.
- Cover pot with aluminum foil, this is done to prevent heat loss by escaping through the lid
- Cook your rice on low heat for about 30 mins
- mix thoroughly to combine ingredients once it has been cooked
- Then cover your pot and cook your rice for another additional 10 mins.
- Increase the heat of the burner if you wish to get a party Jollof taste or flavor, and let the rice burn for about 3 mins.