This Nigerian Egg Roll is entirely different from the well-known Chinese Egg Roll. In Africa, we create our version from Egg Roll, just like the name suggests. Egg roll is boiled eggs wrapped in a layer of dough, then deep-fried.
Egg rolls are often offered on the streets of west Africa. However, tea drinkers can eat this for breakfast. You can also serve it with an iced glass for breakfast. I can eat it at any time of the day. It’s a great satisfying snack.
Like the Scotch Egg, the African Egg roll is deep-fried and very simple to prepare. But the crucial factor to success with this recipe is making the dough. The dough is damp, soft, and challenging to work with. Stay calm in the beginning. Once the dough is allowed to rest for around fifteen to twenty minutes, the dough should be a good product. It will remain soft, and it will be easier to handle. If you take the exact measurements in the table below, you will get the same thing you’ve seen.
- African Puff puff recipe
- West African Meat Pie
- Yeast Donut Recipe
- Only wrap some of the eggs at once unless you’re waiting to fry the eggs as soon as you can. Wrap them only as you cook. The dough wrapped within the egg’s shell will expand if you don’t. This can cause the dough to lose its position around the egg when you fry it.
- Egg Rolls Egg Rolls should be fried at a medium temperature. Frying at a high temperature can prevent the Egg Roll from cooking on the inside. Be assured that Egg Rolls will be smooth in the oil, provided the fat is not freezing.
- Make sure to use sufficient oil for cooking the order to achieve the most effective result.
- You can bake it should you wish to. However, it will be less delicious. Egg Roll will not be as soft inside as the deep-fried one.
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp Margarine
- 1 Egg beaten
- 8-9 Tbsp Water
- 5 Eggs Boiled
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl of enormous size.
- Incorporate the margarine, and then use your fingers to mix the margarine into the flour until it is crumbly.
- Incorporate the egg you beat. The dough should appear dry at this point.
- Begin by introducing the water one drop at a time, and then work the dough until the dough is sticky and soft but still able to work.
- Make the dough work for about 1 minute before covering it with a towel and letting it sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Work the dough for a few minutes to an hour and make five balls.
- Make each dough ball on the palms of your hands. Drop the egg between the dough and then wrap the dough around each egg.
- Fry over medium heat until golden brown in about 6-8 minutes, turning it once every couple of minutes.
- Make sure to serve your egg Roll warm or hot. Enjoy!
- You must ensure enough oil in the frying pan to cook egg rolls.
- Using a tall and wide pan is recommended to ensure that egg rolls can quickly move and cook evenly.
- If you prefer less doughy rolls, use six eggs and divide the dough into six pieces.
Calories: 265kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 164mg | Sodium: 206mg | Potassium: 173mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 405IU | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 3mg