Rice is prepared and consumed in Nigeria indin ways, the most common way rice is prepared and consumed in Nigeria is white rice with stew and Jollof.
To most Nigerians, cooking white rice with stew is the easiest method of preparing rice.
This is because after preparing the stew all you need to do is just to boil the rice and it’s all set.
The stew used in this scenario is mostly prepared with tomatoes in most cases, fresh tomatoes are used but to save time some people use tomato paste.
Ingredients Used To Prepare Stew
- Fresh Tomatoes or Tomato Paste
- Curry Seasoning
- Groundnut oil
- Maggi Cubes
- Onga seasoning
- Meat, Fish or Both
Steps on How to Prepare Stew
- If fresh tomatoes are going to be used first you will need to bring it or blend it as the case may be.
This will be grinded or blended with the onions, pepper, and tatashe. When the tomatoes have grinded or blended it should be boiled for a while to remove the excess water in them, but for tomato paste, this step is not required as it has already been done.
- Put your pot on your cooker and turn on the heat
- Pour a substantial amount of groundnut oil (amount depends on how plenty your tomato is).
Note: if your meat or fish is fresh you will need to boil it first. Most people boil the meat with Tyme seasoning for about 10 to 15 mins and if you wish to fry it you can go ahead and fry it after boiling. Some people don’t boil the fish dey just wash and dry direct
- When the oil is hot pour your boiled tomato and allow it to fry for 10 to 15 mins steer the tomato as it’s frying.
- Pour water and allow it to boil for a while.
- Pour in your seasonings i.e Maggi cube, onga, curry powder, and salt (amount depends on the amount of stew being prepared) and allow it to boil for about 3 to 5 mins
- Now put your fish or meat (fried or boiled )
Note: if you boiled your meat or fish it’s better to keep the water used I boiling it.
- If the water used in boiling your meat or fish is available pour it in and steer your stew. If the water isn’t available or its not enough you can add water your self and allow your stew to boil for 10 to 15 mins for it to thickens.
When it’s thick enough you can turn down the heat.
Preparing Your White rice
View this post on Instagram
- Measure the amount of rice you want to prepare and wash it with water.
- Put your pot on the cooker put some water in it and turn on the heat
- Pour in your washed rice and allow it to boil for about 15 to 20 mins and then remove the water.
Note: This process is often referred to as per-boiling and it is down to reduce the starch of the rice.
- When you finish per-boiling and removing the water from your rice add water again then add salt (the amount of salt depends on the amount of rice).
Allow the rice to boil till the water dries out then you can turn off the heat.
When all this has been done you can now dish your white rice with stew and enjoy your meal.