Several dead in Kongsberg after man shoots people with bow and arrows near Oslo
Police in Norway have confirmed a man has been charged following the killing of five people and injuring of two others in a bow and arrow attack.
In a statement, police said the suspect is a 37-year-old Danish citizen who lives in Kongsberg. No other details were released.
The suspect was apprehended after the attack on Wednesday night in the town, which is 50 miles south-west of the country’s capital, Oslo.
“The man has been apprehended … from the information we now have, this person carried out these actions alone,” said police chief, Øyvind Aas.
“Several people have been injured and several are dead.”
He added that there were “several crime scenes” but did not confirm the exact number of people killed or injured in the attack in the town of 28,000 residents.
Norway’s minister of justice and public security, Monica Maeland, has received updates on the attacks and was closely monitoring the situation, the ministry said.
An arrow left in a wall is seen after several people were killed and others were injured by a man using a bow and arrows
Shweta Sharma14 October 2021 06:57
Eyewitness says attacker stood with arrows in a quiver
An eyewitness has told local outlet TV2 that she saw people running around and a woman taking cover, according to AFP news agency.
She said she saw a “man standing on the corner with arrows in a quiver on his shoulder and a bow in his hand.”
“Afterwards, I saw people running for their lives. One of them was a woman holding a child by the hand,” the eyewitness said.
Shweta Sharma14 October 2021 05:06
Suspect ‘a 37-year-old Dane’
The suspect arrested over the killings is a 37-year-old Danish citizen who had been living in Kongsberg, police said, according to the NTB news agency.
The defence counsel of the alleged attacker said that the accused is cooperating with the police and explained in detail about what happened.
The attacker “acted alone” and there are several crime scenes in a large area as the perpetrator walked around during the attack, police said.
Shweta Sharma14 October 2021 04:41
At least five people have been killed and others injured by a man using a bow and arrows to carry out attacks in a Norwegian town, police have said.
Officers said a suspect had been detained following the incident in Kongsberg on Wednesday and that a probe was underway to establish whether the attack amounted to an act of terrorism.
“The man used a bow and arrow … for some of the attacks,” police chief Oeyvind Aas told reporters on Wednesday. Officers were investigating whether other weapons had also been used, he said.
Tom Ambrose has the details.
Joe Middleton14 October 2021 04:30
Swedish PM: My thoughts are with the victims and their loved ones
Joe Middleton14 October 2021 03:30
Jonas Gahr Store calls attack ‘cruel’ and ‘brutal’
New Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Store, who is expected to take office Thursday said: “What we have heard from Kongsberg tonight testifies that a cruel and brutal act has been committed.
“We still know little about what happened and what is behind it, but we know that several innocent people were killed and that several were injured.
“My thoughts and deepest sympathy are with those affected, their families, and with the police, the health workers who are now working full time to assist those who need help.”
Joe Middleton14 October 2021 02:30